Chicory is not very popular – just like any other food with a slight bitter taste. However, these bitter-tasting compounds make it very healthy. They promote digestion, lower blood sugar levels, and support the uptake of nutrients. Moreover, chicory contains a lot of vitamins and minerals that support bone and muscle building processes.
To weaken the bitter taste a little bit, you can always mix chicory with something sweet – in this case with apples. This salad also is perfect to take away. Since the ingredients do not get soaked too easily, you do not even have to store the dressing separately.
Ingredients per serving
- 100g (3.5 oz.) red lentils
- 250g (8.8 oz.) turkey or chicken breast fillet
- 1 (200g, 7 oz.) apple
- 1 (120g, 4.3 oz.) chicory
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon apple juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 250ml (1 oz.) water
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed or olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Cook lentils with 200ml (0.8 cups) water for approx. 10 minutes until the water is evaporated.
- Meanwhile, wash chicken or turkey breast, pat dry.
- Cut turkey or chicken breast filet into 1 cm (0.5 in) slices, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up 1 teaspoon oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add chicken or turkey strips to the pan, stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Wash apple and chicory, pat dry.
- Quarter and core apple, cut into slices.
- Slice up chicory.
- Mix up curry, apple juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard and 1 teaspoon oil.
- Mix lentils, turkey or chicken breast strips, apple slices and chicory with dressing.