Make sure to buy the fat free version of tuna („in own juice“ or „natural“) and not the one marinated in oil. Tuna is a nutritious source of protein. Only use green olives, as black olives often are coloured. The salad can also be prepared in advance. If you do so, add bread crumbs just before eating.
Ingredients per serving
- 150g (5.3 oz.) canned tuna (“in own juice” or “natural”)
- 1 slice of whole-grain bread
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes or 14 (150g or 5.3 oz.) cherry tomatoes
- 50g (1.8 oz.) green olives (pitted)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon thyme (fresh or dried)
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 dash balsamic vinegar
- salt, pepper
- Preheat Oven to 220°C (430°F, no convection).
- Place pepper on a grid, roast on top rail for about 15 minutes until the skin blisters, turn over occasionally.
- Put bread on the same grid after 7 minutes and roast for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash tomatoes, pat dry and cut into cubes.
- Halve olives.
- Peel garlic, press or chop finely.
- Squeeze lemon, mix lemon juice with olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar and season dressing with salt and pepper.
- After baking time, let peppers cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile pick bread apart with your hands.
- Mix tuna, diced tomatoes, olives, garlic, thyme and bread crumbs.
- Peel off skin of the pepper, dice pepper and add to the remaining ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the salad, mix everything well.