I recently purchased the Black Diamond Spot 200 Lumens from Mountain Designs in Perth and can’t be happier. I spent more hours than I care to admit looking into headlamps for use on hikes and camping expeditions and after comparing product specs, consumer feedback and price I decided to try the Spot. This product retails at $79.95 which makes it, (in my opinion), a bargain.
It’s lightweight composition and styling made it a cinch to wear and after the first 5 minutes I wasn’t aware of it still being attached to my head. The headband fit snug against my forehead and I didn’t notice any movement or jiggling of the light from it’s original resting position. That is the beauty of it weighing less than 100 grams with batteries installed.
When looking at the technical specifications for the Spot it made the decision so much more easier. Boasting a powerful TriplePower LED, SinglePower White LED & SinglePower Red LED that at max settings produces a massive 200 lumens of light. But it’s the Spots fantastic feature of quick change from high to low power that makes it extremely useful during hikes, when you find night has fallen extremely quick; plus the ability to adjust, quite finely, the lighting level just by holding the on/off button down. It will automatically cycle through the entire light power spectrum. And don’t worry if it starts to rain because the Spot is fully waterproof up to 1.1 meters full submerged. for at least 30 minutes.
Using only 3 x AAA batteries the Spot is rated to supply up to 200 hours of TriplePower and 80 hours of SinglePower. I haven’t had a chance to prove this yet, but, I will have the opportunity in the next couple of months to do so. I’m confident though, that the good people at Black Diamond have done their research.
Don’t just take my word for it, have a look at the information below or view either the Black Diamond or Mountain Designs website for more information. Our you can purchase it online right now Black Diamond Spot at Amazon.
Our most popular headlamp for everything from pre-work dawn patrols to late-night rappels after a long day, the Black Diamond Spot Headlamp now features 200 lumens of power in a waterproof package. Featuring PowerTap Technology, easy on-the-fly brightness adjustments are literally at the tip of your fingers. At first touch, the proximity light is illuminated, eliminating the headlamp shuffle when transitioning from camp tasks to low-light activities. With a handy lock mode, the Spot is safe from accidental battery drain while in your pack or pocket.
- One TriplePower LED, one SinglePower white LED and one SinglePower red LED emits 200 lumens (max setting)
- PowerTap Technology allows fast and simple transitioning between full and dimmed power in order to instantly increase illumination in distance or proximity modes
- Red night-vision mode has proximity and strobe settings, and activates without cycling through the white mode
- Sleek, low profile design uses three AAA batteries and three-level power meter shows remaining battery life for three seconds after switching on headlamp
- Settings include: full strength in proximity and distance modes, dimming, strobe, red night vision and lock mode
- IPX8: Waterproof—Tested to operate up to 1.1 meters underwater for 30 minutes. If submerged, water may enter the battery compartment and it will still operate, and it should be dried out completely afterwards.
- Lumens: 200
- Weight With Batteries: 90 g (3.2 oz)
- Max Distances:
[TriplePower LED] 80 m
[SinglePower LEDs] 10 m
- Max Burn Time:
[TriplePower LED] 200 hours
[SinglePower LEDs] 80 hours
- IPX Rating: 8
- LED Type:
2 SinglePower (1 white, 1 red)
- Batteries: 3 AAA (included)
ABOUT BLACK DIAMOND
Since 1957, Black Diamond have pioneered innovative outdoor adventure gear.
Black Diamond climbing gear is world-renowned, and since their establishment they have expanded their range to include hiking poles, tents, headlamps and lanterns.
With dedication and diligence, Black Diamond’s team of experts live and breathe climbing and skiing, and it’s this hands on, energetic approach that allows them to create exceptional products that test convention and deliver impressive results on the field, time and time again.